MBC's History PDF Print E-mail
Article Index
MBC's History
Page 2
Photos

Merrylands was commenced in 1901, the exact date of the first service is not known but that the work had been established is verified by a brief reference to it in the Parramatta church minutes for September 1901.

In 1905, Mr George Hollier donated a block of land measuring 66 ft by 132 ft (20 x 40m) for the erection of a church. The first Merrylands Baptist Church building was opened on Jan.7, 1907 - a weatherboard structure which stood on the exact spot occupied by the present church.

Around 1921, a group of Merrylands residents, attending the Granville Baptist church, decided to set up a Baptist mission in the Merrylands School of Arts. The Mission attracted a very enterprising group of worshippers, such that the Home Mission Committee suggested to both churches in 1921 that a more aggressive work could be pursued in Merrylands if the two Baptist causes could be merged under the direct control of the Home Mission Board. The Home Mission raised the matter again in 1929 and, this time, Parramatta agreed to their suggestion, making the current property available free of debt. The Home Mission assumed responsibility for the work in April 1930.

The Merrylands Baptist church was duly formed on May 14, 1930, with 21 members being received into fellowship by the President of the Baptist Union, Rev. G.H. Morling. When Bruce Hinds succeeded Frank Starr in 1932, his immediate priority was to effect an amalgamation with the Baptist Mission. In fairly short order, the amalgamation took place, with combined Sunday morning services being held in the more spacious School of Arts, and evening services in the church in Chertsey St. (now Memorial Avenue).

In 1933 the old church building was moved to the rear of the block and, backed by the now much larger congregation, a new church was erected, which was enlarged on three separate occasions.  While the reconstituted Merrylands church was healthy, it was relatively small. It was supported by modest-wage earners and it had a substantial residual debt occasioned by the new building. It was still a "Home Mission" church, subsidised by the Baptist Home Mission Department and reliant on theological students from the Baptist College.

The period 1945-50 saw the calling of the Rev. Stanley Dickson - the church's first full-time minister. When Rev. Dickson resigned (and retired) in 1950, Pastor Ron Burns was appointed to take his place. Pastor R.B.(Bob) Graham and his wife Jean succeeded Pastor Ron Burns. The need for a permanent manse prompted the purchase of the property at 18 Newman St., which came our way during the Burns/Graham ministries largely through the intervention of a local resident and communicant, Mrs Spence.

Bob Graham and Jean were followed in 1953-54 by Pastor and Gladys Heard. Remembered as a sincere battler, Ron was determined to reshape his life for the Lord and to win as many souls as he could in the process - young and old alike.

John Curtis and his young wife, Violet, accepted a full-time call to the church in 1954 and began what proved to be a very profitable ministry. They set up home in the Newman St. cottage and helped translate it into the official manse.